Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Under Standing Backwards Design: Introduction and Chapter 1

After reading the Introduction and Chapters 1 I think that the first concept a teacher needs to know is understanding, which is a person’s ability to connect and apply different knowledges and skills together in a real life situation. Then a teacher needs to know that knowledge and skills do not always lead to understanding. The three steps to backwards design are identifying desired results, determine acceptable evidence, and plan learning experiences and instruction. To effectively ensure students’ understandings grow teachers need to have a clear cut objective set on where the students will end up at the end of the unit. After this is understood the teacher needs to decide which assessments are going to show this growth through the unit and provide the concrete evidence of students’ understanding.  It is important to create opportunities to give feedback to students about their growth with these assessments. Finally, the teacher can start to piece together knowledge and skills that they need to provide to the students so they can properly perform the final desired results.

 In my experiences at my school I attempt to do backwards design when planning curriculum. When I start planning a lesson I have my objective and desired results set. After, I start planning an assessment that shows the students know how to perform the objectives of the whole unit. However, here I struggle with creating assessments for throughout the unit that show this growth. I normally only have a few random assessments set because of administration purposes. After I have the final assessment done, I go through and plan lessons that provide my students with the knowledge and skills to accomplish the final goals of the unit. I also need to work on provided my students with feedback; I am not the most efficient teacher when it comes to providing proper feedback.  I hope after taking this course I can successfully and completely apply Backwards Design to my units.   

No comments:

Post a Comment