Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Chapter 4: The Six Facets of Understanding

So far in the book Understanding has been viewed as the ability to do something with knowledge that is learned and used in social relations, but it also has other dimensions that are elaborated in this chapter. They are all seen in some part of backwards design. The six signs that students can show understanding are: can explain, interpret, apply, have perspective, empathy, and self-knowledge of different themes learned about in their school. Each facet of knowledge is important and can be done in different ways in the lessons.

I think it is important for teachers to take the time to reflect and see if they are accomplishing all of these facets in their lessons. These are all key elements to make sure that students are learning and not just memorizing facts. They are especially important because each of these facets helps develop a well-rounded citizen that will be able to participate in society in the future.


Honestly, before reading this chapter I only had one view of understanding which was that students can apply knowledge to another context to use it. I never thought about students demonstrating understanding through empathy, perspective, or self-knowledge. Even though I never thought about it actively, I think I subconsciously added parts of these into my lessons. I usually and form my students lessons to make them aware of their surroundings so they can empathize and see others perspectives and interpret different situations. I normally also add in a self-reflection part to my classes as well. I guess I am not too horrible at not using them. But this chapter has made me more conscious about the different ways students can understand. I hope that as we continue reading I can start to use them more actively in my planning process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment