Monday, December 12, 2016

Chapter 12

In this chapter the use of backwards design is brought to a bigger level. It can be used for more than the creation of units by teachers. Backwards Design can be used to create syllabus or programs for schools or even at the district level. The versatility of Backwards Design can help schools and districts ensure they are teaching with quality and not just covering content. It can even be used to make cross curricular connections.

This chapter was an important chapter to read because it brings together Backwards Design and shows how it can be applied in any circumstance. I am hoping to take my knowledge from reading this unit and create a syllabus for my English classes next year. I believe this will help me make the intentions of my class clear to students, so they are not left wondering “Why am I learning this?” A question that I am often left facing because normally I just follow the curriculum my school provides me with.


It also gives me the confidence to go back and review the “Why am I teaching this?” It allows me to modify the curriculum to make it authentic and meaningful for my students. By doing this I am hoping to create a better relationship with my students, and help foster a positive relationship with the English language and my students. First, I need to break the habit of following my schools curriculum directly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment