Criteria
and Validity are important concepts to understand when creating an assessment for
a unit. Before teachers can give out an assessment to students they need to
make sure they have the criteria clear. These criteria will be the guideline
for teachers as they correct assessments. It helps to ensure that the teachers
are checking work with a clear consistent non-judgmental manner. To help
teachers check criteria, rubrics are usually created that list levels of how
the criteria should be met.
Besides
just created assessments, teachers need to create valid and reliable
assessments. Teachers should ask themselves if the assessment aligns to the
understandings that they are trying to teach in the unit. If it does not, then
there is a significant chance that the task is not valid for the unit. Also reliability
comes into play when creating assessments. To make sure that students understand
the knowledge form the unit they need to have multiple assessments throughout
the unit. This will help give the teacher a bigger picture view of the students’
learning process.
This has
made me reflect on my teaching practices and how I create assessments. I need
to improve my rubric making skills to make sure they help me properly assess
criteria for an assignment. Sometimes I find myself grading the amount of time
students speak during an oral presentation just to push them to think deeper.
Instead of doing this I should look into the task and make sure this is
authentic. Maybe the task is not very engaging to my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment